Saturday, December 20, 2008

It all ends where it began: Riding the LIRR

Tonight I said goodbye to Elvia. Elvia was my plant. I got her the when I first moved into my new flat and she has been the only plant in the apartment to survive the harsh life.

Some people think it is funny, but hey, I love plants. There's no much more to say. I wish I was one of those people with a green thumb... ever since I read The Secret Garden, when I was in 4th grade, I have wished to be one of those people to have anything grow on them, and of course, I mean plants, flowers, vegetation.... just be one of those people who can communicate with plants... (call it corny) ;) but I love them.

I got Elvia the moment I found an apartment. Elvia, yes, that's her name... my dear plant... and since then, she has kept me company, and most importantly, she has let me take care of her..without suffering too much.

When I first moved into this flat, my roommates had tons of plants... little by little they all died. The only plant that survived was Elvia. I took care of her as much as I could.... She sometimes suffered the harsh weather, but she kept strong, just like me...

Tonight I gave her to my cousin. After much deliberating I decided that my cousin was the best person to have her... so as I rode the Long Island Railroad.. I just kept thinking how it all ends where it began: riding the Long Island Railroad.

Saying goodbye to Elvia was more important that saying goodbye to my roommates..though they are cool and I may see them again in the future. Elvia was the little thing I had chosen to take care of... she was mine...she only related to me and me to her.... Leaving her at my cousin's meant the first step of saying goodbye....

Doesn't she look cute riding the train?

1 comment:

Mary Cuevas said...

great photo lucia.:) and i can't beleive how empty that train is. are you heading back to colombia soon? do you think you will come back to nyc?

love your blog.:)
mary